Home Cooking BTEC Level 2
This course is hugely inspiring for learners of all cooking abilities. For some students, it may be the start of a career in cooking; for others, it will help them to learn the basic skills and recipes that will stand them in good stead throughout their lives. The majority of ingredients will be purchased centrally, so parents(s)/carer(s) will be asked to make a voluntary contribution towards the cost.
The aim of this qualification is to give students the basic life skills and knowledge to be able to cook for themselves in a healthy and cost-effective way, and have the confidence to share these skills with friends and family. Being able to cook is an essential skill, which enables students to make changes that have benefits to their health and wellbeing for the rest of their lives.
Students will gain an understanding of how to budget when planning meals to cook at home. The course will encourage students to transfer skills learnt to other recipes to continue cooking for themselves and their families and to inspire others by passing on their knowledge.
Learners will demonstrate their skills by planning and cooking recipes for a nutritious main meal with vegetables for Level 1 and planning and cooking a two-course meal, following the recipes to prepare, cook and present the meal for a given scenario for Level 2.
• Be able to plan a nutritious, home-cooked meal using basic ingredients. (L1)
• Plan a nutritious two-course meal. (L2)
• Be able to prepare, cook and present a basic nutritious, home-cooked meal using basic ingredients. (L1)
• Select and prepare ingredients for recipes for a nutritious, two-course meal. (L2)
o Use cooking skills when following the recipe (both)
o Demonstrate food safety and hygiene throughout the preparation and cooking process (both)
o Apply presentation skills when serving the meal (L1/L2)
• Understand how to cook economically at home. (L1/L2)
• Explain ways to economise when cooking at home. (L1/L2)
• Be able to pass on information about cooking meals at home from the start, be able to adapt / modify recipes with ease and identify ways information about cooking meals at home from scratch has been passed on to others. (L1/L2)